CARNIVAL OF THE DAMNED
Carnivals. Everything you could imagine from traveling entertainment – food, games of chance, sideshows, dancing girls, funhouses, fortune tellers, rides . . . and the seeds for nightmarish realities made flesh. Give us tales of monstrosities underneath boardwalks, circuses in the middle of nowhere, inner-city performances that boggle the imagination and sideshows containing what nature never intended. Please supply a basic log line (1-2 sentences) about the story you’re submitting and mention any recent publications in your cover letter. If writing under a pseudonym, please include that information as well.
- DEADLINE: July 31st, 2012
- WORD COUNT: 4,000-12,000 words (query for shorter / longer)
- PAYMENT: 40% of anthology’s net-profit divided equally among authors + 1 contributor’s copy
- REPRINTS: No
- MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS: Limit of two, Maximum of one accepted
- SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS: No
- FORMAT: RTF JUSTIFICATION: Left-justify only
- FONT: 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New
- TAB INDENT: ¼ inch and use margins rather than manual paragraph indents
- SPACING: Double-Spaced
- PAGE NUMBERING / HEADERS: No page numbers headers or footers
- CONTACT INFORMATION: Name, Address, Phone Number and E-mail at top-left of first page
- SUBMISSION: Send to “email@example.com” with “Last Name / Submission Title / Word Count” in the subject line
- We welcome any questions for clarification. E-mail them to “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- We will only be accepting a maximum of two (2) stories involving a sideshow.
- No present-tense stories
- Confirmation e-mails will be sent out once per week.
- Some stories within the anthology will have artwork based on their work created. Those chosen are required to sign a release.
- Do not put your story in the body of your e-mail. Send it as an attachment.
- Rejection letters will contain a basic explanation. We will do our best to be available for any questions.
- Accepted stories will be hand-edited and returned to authors via PDF for correction.
- Accepted stories will need an author bio (3-6 sentences) and any contact information desired for publication (website / Facebook / Twitter / etc.).
ABOUT THE EDITORS
Henry Snider is a founding member of the Colorado Springs Fiction Writer’s Group. For over fifteen years he’s worked with writers to hone their craft, taught creative writing at the high school and adult levels, organized contests and lectured on writing. More at http://www.henrysnider.com
David C. Hayes is a writer/editor/filmmaker type. He is creepy and enjoys creepy things. His films, like The Frankenstein Syndrome, Bloody Bloody Bible Camp, Back Woods and many more, are available worldwide. He has placed fiction in multiple magazines and anthologies including those published by Evil Jester Press, Bloodbound Books and StrangeHouse, among others and has written for national magazines like Outre, Brutarian and Cult Movies. David is an active member of the Horror Writers Association and the Dramatists Guild. Please visit him online at http://www.abnormalnet.blogspot.com and try not to leave a mess.